Monday, February 16, 2009

A taste of success

Today was crack down day. I have Wes multiple weeks of no pressure, no asking, and no comments on using the toilet and not wearing diapers anymore. He was still having overflow accidents and I had had my limit of washing bedding and loads of laundry. I was putting my foot down and today was the day.

Starting first thing in the morning, I got Wes out of bed and brought him to the toilet. I sat him down, told him to go to the bathroom and left the room. He sat (not happily), but nothing happened. I decided I was going to take him every half hour if he didn't go, and one hour if he did go with success. I wasn't going to ask him or mention that he was going to the bathroom. I just took his hand and up the stairs we went. The second time went like the first. Nothing, but that was okay. I didn't say anything to him as I pulled his pull-up back and pants back on. On the third time, I left him a little bit longer in the bathroom and then I heard "I am finished." I went in to check on him and I smelled the distinct odor one leaves behind from their behind. There was no way he did what I was thinking. I figured he had some really strong gas. He has his little stick legs glued at the knees so I pried them open and found a small puddle of urine in his lap. I started clapping and whooping it up. Tim brought him a cookie to eat once he was cleaned up. I had him get up from the potty and there in the bottom of the bowl was success number 2 (no pun intended). I still can't believe he did that. I made an even bigger deal and he got another cookie for his triumph.
The rest of the day went without any surprises and off to school he went. Nothing there either, but his para told me she gave him extra water at school so she was sure he had to go. We immediately came home and back up the stairs for another successful elimination. Holy cow! Unfortunately, I got distracted by dinner and Tim needing to leave (he had the day off) so I missed the next round and he went in his pull up and all over the floor.
I really feel like we lost the momentum for the day with that accident but hopefully, we can recover tomorrow and he'll be on his way to being a big boy in underwear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Wesley, Memere is soooooooo proud of you. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

We have just one word for Wes.

WAY TO GO OUR BIG BOY. You are becomming a big grownup boy now!!!!
We Love You
Nana and Papa

Casdok said...

Well done Wes! :)

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...