Saturday, February 7, 2009

Model Magic

Another great report came home from school about how well Wes has been doing in school and how well he's been progressing with his program. He's been doing a sight word program at school and loves to read. Santa brought him some flash cards with common items and we've been working on those at home too. He loves for me to read him a book and then reads it back to me. That's my favorite part of our day. The reason for the sight word program is to help with his articulation and to help him increase his the length of his speaking. I've noticed a big difference in his word utterance since he started this program. He still does a lot of echolalia of t.v. programs he's watched, but he's remembering to ask the correct way for things he wants rather then using what he hears on t.v.

Play skills are still an uphill battle for Wes. School has taught him some play activities and tries to include him in as much play with one student as possible, but he still shows no interest. School (and I) have decided to try video modeling. I'm really excited to give this a try because Wes has been copying many things Casey has been doing. From pretend sleeping, to making funny noises alongside Casey. He's really starting to notice his brother and the little things he's doing. Instead of purchasing the videos, I found them at our government resource lending library. We can borrow the DVD's for two weeks and I'm starting with Play. The library has Watch Me Learn. I checked out Teach To Talk, but since it's endorsed and created by Jenny McCarthy, I'm glad to try Watch Me Learn. If the video's prove to be useful, I'll purchase them and then pass them onto the school. The school will be making their own videos using older students which I think is great. These students will open up to others who are different and will feel good about themselves for helping others.

I'll be sure to update after the two weeks.

1 comment:

Casdok said...

Video modeling sounds an intersting idea. And a great idea for the school to make their own.

Well done Wes on the great school report!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...