Friday, March 20, 2009

Just don't get it

It's been awhile since I've blogged. It's been awhile since I've checked others blogs too. Nothing too major has occured and frankly, I haven't been in the blogging mood. I have to be in the mood to write.

We received another update from the Autism Consultant for the school district. He sent us the update to our email and his first line was "Your son is a superstar!". Wow. That is so great to hear from someone who is an expert and has been around the block with these kiddos. I mean, I can tell how hard Wesley works and through that hard work he's succeeding more then we imagined. There was one section that's always the issue. His social/play skills. He's gone from tantruming when made to do some play skills to doing them and quickly to get it over with. He's just not into it.

I went through this phase of play with him. At first I didn't think I could reach him, then I didn't think I was doing it right, then I came to the realization that he might not ever 'get' traditional play. Oddly enough, I'm okay with that.

I was discussing the report with his para and she said the same thing I had been thinking. He may never get it. He might just be one of those kids who prefers to bury his face in a computer and be on the math league. Now that scares me, but not for the reasons you think. I am so proud of him for everything that he does. I will be proud of him no matter what, but when I think of computers and math, I think of him being picked on more. Couple that with the autism and does this child of mine stand a chance? Will the kids that are in high school with him be more tolerant of kids like him? Will they be just a mean and hateful as the kids I remember going to school with. I don't know if my heart can take the torment that might be in store for him. My heart says to start homeschooling, but my head says that might be the worst thing because he needs the chance to social with his peers. What's a mom to do?

A local father who occationally writes for our local paper made a documentary about his wonderful young son who has Cerebral Palsy. The documentary is about inclusion in our schools. The movie also documents the stories of other children and adults who have various disabilities. During the movie, they interviewed some high school students and they seem to be accepting of this student, but is that the truth? When the camera is off and the stakes of popularity are high, are they still that acceptive?

Wes is only 4. He still has a long way until he's in high school and until we find out just who he will become and what he will face. There's much more work to be done not only for people with disabilities, but for people without.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You know, I really, truly do believe that kids today are going to be more accepting of ALL things that are not considered mainstream. I think that the knowledge that WE are gaining is going to make it that way. People like you, who are willing to share your story, are making it that way.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Your words have brought me to tears. You and Tim have always done what was best for Wes, and you will continue to do so in the future. No one can say what the future will bring, but I'm sure Wes will do just fine. He has the best Mom in the world. You are so strong, and will continue do everything to help Wes as he grows older.

Holly said...

I agree. I wouldn't worry about that until it happens--or if it ever will happen. Take one day at a time, don't jump ahead and think the worst. My son is just about to enter high school, and so far so good, no bullying..

I've found your blog and I like what you write...
Holly --- Fearless Females

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...