Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tiny bubbles (not in the wine)

This is huge. Who knew how hard it would be for a child to learn to blow bubbles. It's always been a favorite past time in our home. We always have bubble soap in the house and even have a bubble machine. Casey asked to use the bubbles so I wanted to make a game out of it. I blew the bubbles high in the air and told the boys to jump and "catch" the bubbles. They were both having so much fun jumping up and down (the ulterior motive was to make them tired). Casey asked if he could try so I let him. He was a bubble champ! I was interested to see if Wesley had gained this skill yet or not. Instead of blowing, he makes the F sound with his teeth against his bottom lip. I pushed his cheeks in to form the O with his mouth and success! He figured it out after two cheek squeezes and was so proud of himself, as was I.

We've had some tough days lately with his rigidity with routine. Since the Holiday break, he's gotten worse instead of better. All of the snow days and sick days haven't helped either. I hope this changes soon because I'm nearly at my wits end with him. I've been using this schedule board more now then ever and when we makes choices, I use visual cues to go along with the verbal (usually verbal was enough). He's been making great choices and not being upset by them, it's just when the usual routine has a slight variance that sends him over the edge. I'm just praying for strength right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

I Think Wesley has cabin fever just like the rest of us. Once he can go back outside to play in the park, he will settle down again.
Great job with the bubbles Wes,
Nana Loves You

Casdok said...

You are strong. And those little things that are huge keep us going!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...