Friday, January 9, 2009

Grant Writing

Monday was our monthly parent meeting with other parents in our school district who have children with autism. I love these meetings and am sad when they are postponed in the summer time. Our topic for this month was Grant writing. I was so excited to attend this meeting, until I became ill and couldn't go. I sent Tim to collect the information and prayed that he would remember everything. The speaker was a parent who has a child in the school district and has just received her son's diagnosis. However, she has been writing grants for her son even before his diagnosis. I really wished I could have gone and met her. I hope she starts to attend our meetings.

Anyway, she made a packet for everyone and included links to organizations that help with grant money for things like medical bills, equipment, evaluations, private therapies and even one that offers grant money for extracurricular activities! She also included a sample letter and what to include in the grant request.

Immediately, my mind went to wanting to write one. I'd love for Wes to receive ABA therapy outside of school for everyday living. Unfortunately, our insurance won't cover it and it's just too expensive. The other obstacle is to find someone around here that is a provider. So that's my new mission. I can just see Wes making so many advances if we had an ABA provider at home. He's getting some at school, but not enough in my opinion. There's only so much you can squeeze into 2 hours a day.

It seems like every time I seem to be hitting a wall, something like this falls into my lap. I know, I know! Maybe I should stop the anxiety and see what will happen before I turn it into a disaster.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hi:

Thanks for visiting my blog. I wanted to comment on you wanting ABA services. I'm not sure where you live but have you tried the resource at your local Arc. There is a link at my site for it. I was able to connect to a program that offered money for help and services and they might point you in the right direction for other funds and programs... I also applied to commonwealth Health ( a division of Mass health--if youre in Mass.) and it picked up services (ot, speech) just for the kids becuase they are disabled and where my health insurance wouldn't cover.
Just some suggestions, not sure if you tried them...

Unknown said...

I think grant writing is a wonderful idea! Hope it goes well for you. You're such an awesome mom Jess!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...