Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pain in the rump

It's been about a month since Wes was put on Ultrase, the digestive enzyme. We've taken him off ourselves because he was showing signs of pain, discomfort and constipation again. He would hunch over in the catchers stance every few minutes, and I could tell that he was in pain by his face. He wouldn't want us near him and he wasn't going in his diaper. I started to track when he would go, and realized that he was almost 4 days. Thankfully, a session of cranial sacral helped get his intestines moving and he went the next day. Not to be graphic, but it was so hard and wide.

I've been trying to get a hold of the doctor now for almost two weeks. He, nor a nurse, has returned any of my phone calls and I'm getting very frustrated and angry. The medication isn't life or death for him, but it still deserves a call from the doctor. While I'm typing this, I finally got through to the nurse practitioner and she recommended we make a follow up appointment now rather then 6 months. We need to come up with another plan for him.

It wasn't easy giving him this medication to begin with. Because he can't swallow pills, we had to open them and put the contents into a food. Well with his limited diet, that posed a problem. We had to somehow bribe him to eat a few bites of applesauce with the contents in it. He would gag and fight us tooth and nail, but we managed to get it into him. I was worried about giving the enzyme to him when he wouldn't eat anything. What's the point if there's no food in his stomach to digest? Was that the issue causing him pain? Was it because it wasn't consistent and his body wasn't getting used to it regularly? I have no idea. All I know is that I'd rather my son keep taking Pediasure and using Cranial Sacral therapy, then having pains like he was having.

To be continued....

2 comments:

Mom Of 3 said...

I cant imagine how hard thos is on you or him. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that everything will get figured out. I am glad you finally got to talk to someone how frustrating that they woudlnt call you back.
AS far as my curious George, yes she probably does want more attention one on one, and I try to give that to her. She is only three so a little too young yet to put into words exactly what she is feeling. But She has always been like this so I dont think it is the change, I think that is just who she is.
NExt week we are going to Dallas for G's appt. and she will get to spend special time with her grandma, I know that will be good for her.
thanks for stopping by and always leaving such encouraginfg comments. I apprciate it.

Cyndi said...

Maybe it was just that particular enzyme...there are plenty of other good ones out there. (We use Kirman's EnzymComplete.)

Sorry you had to wait...they just don't understand how frustrating it is...I'm waiting on a call back from a nurse now (since yesterday) and it's killing me!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...