Friday, September 5, 2008

Back to school again

Wes has completed the first week of school. Not a full week, but it still counts in my book. I had been preparing, and dreading this week. Now that it's over (and just begun), it wasn't so bad. I guess I prepared him well because he didn't give any trouble about heading off once again. On Tuesday, we went to the open house at the new school and it was pretty decent. The room was bigger and the set up was much better. They had more space for the classroom as well as two extra rooms. One of those rooms were for the work area's. Wesley had his own area all to himself that he and C (para-pro) work in every day. He found it and immediately recognized his name. I was relieved that he liked the classroom. We spent about an hour exploring everything and figuring out what was where. He colored a birthday bumble bee to be hung up on the wall.
The next day was the big day. Would he be receptive to getting on the bus from home? That was my biggest worry. I made sure to use his schedule board so that he knew after lunch, the bus would come and take him to school. I put Casey down for nap and we sat out on the stoop and waited for the bus. I knew ahead of time that the driver was the one from last year. He loves her and she loves Wes. That would make the transition easier. The bus pulled up and he ran for it. Without any hesitation, he climbed aboard. I had to pull him back for a kiss (there was no way I was letting him leave without a kiss!) and then he climbed in his usual seat and away they went!
Pick-up is tricky. I want to be able to catch his teachers to find out his day since they can't find the time to write in his book so I pick him up at the end of the day. It's a very old school and there is no parking other than teacher parking. Most parents pick up their little one because there is no buses except that for special needs. Winter will be most interesting but I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Next week is the first full week. My little guy is going to be exhausted by Wednesday I'm sure. He's been falling asleep almost immediately the last couple of nights. I love the peace and quiet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wesley obviously loves school. Wonder if he is in the same room as his Dad was in for Kindergarten? It is nice to know that he did so well with the bus and getting back into the routine of school. He is a trooper. I am so proud of you Wesley.
Love,
Memere

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...