Thursday, September 4, 2008

Undigested

Tuesday was the follow-up with the gastro in Boston. We were going to get the results from all the blood drawn a month before. I was anxious and curious to find out if Wes had any allergies. We were relieved to find out that everything came back normal...except one. A Sedimentation Rate came back elevated. The doctor wasn't that concerned because the number wasn't that much higher then the norm but he wanted to be proactive about it. He also said that just because the tests came back within normal range, doesn't mean that he doesn't have an allergy. Uh..what? Then why on earth do the tests? He explained that he wanted to follow a procedure to rule out things in an order. Because this sedimentation rate test was elevated, he was leaning more towards a bowel issue rather then allergy issue. I told him what I've been noticing lately with Wes' BM's and how some food has gone undigested. I think that made him lean even more towards that side. He wants to put Wes on a digestive enzyme to see how that helps. It's called Ultrase MT. Today he had his first dose and C (at school) reported that he was excessively gassy. He also repeatedly asked to use the potty at school too. He doesn't often ask to use it. Tim and I have decided that we'll give it a week or two and if he still seems to be having an upset stomach, then we'll call the doctor to see what else we can do. Right now, the alternative is to scope him and check out his intestines, but we're hoping we won't have to do that to the poor child. He's been through enough poking and prodding.
So once again, I'm wondering what a GF/CF diet will do to him. I'm going to a seminar by a local DAN! doctor just to hear him out. I'm still not sold yet, which is why I'm going. I hate using meds when there might be an alternative out there.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...