Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Off Kilter

The last 4 weeks have wreaked havoc on Wesley. It has been a long time since he's acted the way he's acting lately. There have been quite a few monkey wrenches thrown at him and it's all just too much. School ended (mid-week) and summer vacation started. I tried my hardest to warn him what was going to happen, but how do you warn a nearly non-verbal three year old about all the change that's going to happen. Summer program started two weeks later and the time and dates are different. He is only going three days a week for 2 hours a day. Instead of going first thing in the morning, he's going later in the morning until lunch time. Then I added cranial sacral therapy to his mix. Again, brought him to the office a couple of times and told him we'd be coming there once a week.

I'm seriously dreading when school starts again in August. Not only will he be in the afternoon class this year (12pm to 2:30pm), but it's in a new school all together. They needed to move the class because the preschool room is needed for the elementary school. This school is just a few blocks away too. They also want to give him a new para-professional for the new school year. Now I know that that practice is typical in elementary and up, but it was his first year in preschool, he started late, and he's still young. They seriously can not give him that much change in such a short time. I have pleaded my case and told them that we want the same para-pro come this fall. They're trying to fight with me about it, but I'm holding my ground. The boy just won't be able to cope. This is all new for him. If summer is throwing him off this much, then what will that do to him on top of everything else!

I can't fail to mention that both of my boys are sick. They both came down with fevers on Sunday. Casey worse then Wesley. I thought it might be hand-foot-and-mouth disease , but the doctor seems to think it's strep throat so we're waiting for the test to come back from the lab. I think this has thrown him off his game too. Poor kids. It was a rough night last night and I don't think Tim and I got much sleep. Most was interrupted by a 2 foot Tasmanian devil thrashing around in our bed last night. Casey slept in bed with us and that boy does not sleep soundly. A good portion of the night, I slept with a foot lodged in my back and Tim said he lost count of how many times he got kicked. Wesley climbed out of his bed and climbed into ours before our circus performer joined us. Unfortunate we only have a queen bed because it sure gets cramped with four bodies.

We'll be heading out for vacation next week if everyone can heal. We have plans to go see Thomas and Friends at a railway station up north for A Day Out With Thomas. We'll actually get to take a train ride with Thomas himself. I can't wait to see what their reaction will be when we see him. I'm a little concerned for Wesley but when am I not. We'll have lots of pictures when we get back!

3 comments:

Jerry Grasso said...

Everyone can heal, if need be, for a Thomas adventure (We were big Gordon fans back in the day....James too....)

Casdok said...

Change can be so hard, and even more so if not well. Hope Thomas and friends cheer everyone up!

Cyndi said...

The Thomas place looks COOL.

No, we haven't found a cranial sacral therpist yet. I'm going for a massage at a chiropractor's office next week so I will ask them about it. I just wanna make sure we get someone who really knows what they're doing! Plus time is a factor these days, hopefully they can see him on the weekend b/c we just don't have time for it during the week...too busy with preschool, ABA, now OT - hey, maybe I'll ask her about it too!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...