Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movin on up

When little feet start hanging over the bottom of the bed, you know it's time to upgrade. He's officially out grown the toddler bed. I've been searching and searching for just the right bed for him. I wanted to get a loft or raised bed so that he can have a little hideaway underneath. It couldn't be too high, or too low. I searched online and found plans to make a loft bed, but I have neither the power tools nor the know-how to create such a bed. My search continued. We had a very strict budget (seeing as we're a one income family) so that played a huge part in my search as well.

I started looking on the famed site craigslist to see if such a bed was being sold there. I saw quite a few loft style beds, but they were either metal, or way to high for a three year old. I came upon a great looking loft bed complete with a slide and hideaway curtains underneath. It was nearly perfect, except the price. My mom offered to purchase the bed for us and I was excited, but something just kept nagging at me that this wasn't it and I should continue searching.

Finally, there it was. The bed I had been looking for. It was perfect and exactly in our price range. The bed is from Ikea. The person selling it had recently bought it for her son and he hated it. She said her loss was our gain and boy was she right!

Tim and I immediately started to put this thing together. It had what seemed like 100 parts and a small case full of bolts, screws, and what have you. The directions came with no words, only pictures. Fortunately for us, we figured it out pretty easily. I ran out to buy new sheets and pillow cases. We already had a sports comforter that we bought for the toddler bed. It was a twin size and just too big. Soon after we put it together, Wes was climbing up like a pro with a huge grin on his little face and giggles spewing from his mouth. He loves it!!

It's been a week now since he's been in his big boy bed. He pretty much stays in the bed when he goes to bed, but occasionally gets down when he should be sleeping. I tucked his bookcase and his toy box underneath. I plan on putting some curtains up underneath so he can tuck himself away under there and have a place to call his own. He hasn't gone under there yet but I'm sure he'll work up to it soon. The best part is that Casey can't get up there so Wes already has a retreat to call his own. He looks so tiny up there all by himself and it makes me sad that my baby is in a huge bed, but I still have Casey. That poor boy will be in that crib until I can part with him not being a baby anymore. I should start calling therapists now, I suppose.


The room looks bare because now I have to redecorate for Sports rather then Thomas and Friends




5 comments:

Casdok said...

What a great retreat!!

Stephanie said...

I love it and he looks very happy. Who you kidding about Casey staying in a crib 'cuz he's your baby .... You'll keep him there for your sanity's sake, unless he figures out he can climb out. LOL

Lisa said...

Cool bed!

Cyndi said...

That's awesome!

I just LOVE craigslist...I look under the free section daily and gets tons of cool kids stuff - FREE!!!

sweetpeas said...

Very Cool! I love the space underneath..... you should name his space and make a sign..... Chase would make it into a fort.....we love forts.... LOL

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...