Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Therapeutic Listening

It's been about 2 months since Wes has started doing the Therapeutic Listening and it's going great. In the beginning, I cut it back to once a day because he seemed to be lacking focus at school and really off his game. Especially in circle time. I thought it wasn't working, but I was wrong.
I kept getting reports home from school that Wes was not paying attention in circle especially, and very distracted by outside noises and such. Of course I started to worry because the last place I want him to lose focus is at school. I consulted 'J', the OT and she told us to cut back to once a day but not to worry. So, I did just that. He could only tolerate 10 minutes at first, but quickly worked his way up to the full session. He would run upstairs and hop on our bed when I said it was time for his music. He loves it!
I gave my reports to his OT and come to find out, the listening is working. She said the first sign is that the realization that there are outside factors going on and he takes notice. He was distracted by a truck backing up next to the school, or some kids walking in the hallway. He never paid attention to them before because he either didn't really hear them or he didn't see the point in hearing them. I don't mean hear as in taking the sound into the ear. I mean hear as in taking the sound into the ear and processing it in the brain. His hearing is just fine. It's what he does with the sounds he hears.
When we're in a store and someone comes up to him, he looks right at them and smiles or giggles. He's never done that before either. Those people just didn't exist to him in his world. The kids in the playground are showing purpose to him. He watches their play and sometimes, just a smidgen, joins their activity. It's small like looking for attention from them, but that's a huge accomplishment since the start of school.
He's moved back up to two times a day with the music and shortly 'J' will change CD's and give him something new. He will do great things one day. He does great things every day.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

I'd really like to try something like this with Matthew. Is it a program I can order on-line an do dta home myself (without a therapist)?

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...