Wednesday, April 9, 2008

New doctor

We just came from meeting with the boys new doctor. OH MY GOODNESS! I love her! She was incredible. I never knew a doctor could be like that! I was seriously waiting to be rushed and not really heard. She heard every word I said. She totally understood my concerns and agreed with me on almost everything. We made a game plan that we're all comfortable with and finally I know where we're headed. It feels incredible. We're going to work on Wes' bowel issues. She gave us a prescription for Miralax for his constipation, prescription for Pediasure , and a prescription for a multi-vitamin. We changed from Pediasure to Carnation Instant Breakfast because it was cheaper and seemed to have the same stuff as the Pediasure. I hope that our insurance will pick these up for us until Wes is approved for Medicaid through the Katie Beckett Waiver. She wanted to give us a prescription for diapers too, but I told her Medicaid will only cover diapers over the age of 4. Only 6 months to go for that.
We decided to put a referral to one of the best Special Needs Gastroenterologist in the state of Mass as a precaution. It can take 6 months to a year to get an appointment and we figured if Wes does well on the Miralax, then we can cancel the appointment. If he doesn't then at least we already have one. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I can't explain the relief and weight that's been lifted off my shoulders. I've been walking around lost for the past year and not knowing what to do next in terms of Wes' medical needs. His previous pediatrician wasted a year for him and that just sucks. But, no use dwelling over the past. He's on a better path and that's all I want to concentrate on.
Thank you again to 'J'. You know who you are and I can't thank you enough for mentioning this doctor.

2 comments:

Lynn Stallworth said...

Why were you doing the carnation thing? I've had my boys on it because otherwise they refuse milk and also because their diet is so limited due to sensory issues. Now they won't even drink that-grrrr! So, we're doing tri-vi-sol and juices fortified with calcium. I think they got spoiled when they were congested because I didn't fight the milk issue. Now I'm really paying for it~

Casdok said...

A good doctor can make all the difference!
Excellent!!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...