Saturday, October 20, 2007

Yackity Yack, Don't talk back!

I'm pretty sure Wes talked back to me this morning. Of course he didn't actually talk, but his crying surely sounded sarcastic.

Mean Mama made Wes go upstairs so I could change his diaper. He was a stinky one. He didn't want to. I had to practically drag that boy up the stairs and into his room. He fought me every step of the way including while I was changing him. The drama continued down the stairs and into the kitchen. I kept telling him he needed to use quiet voice and the crying was "all done". He didn't like that one bit and came back with a forceful angry cry, looking directly at me. Oh boy! My retort was of course "Don't talk back to me".

I asked Tim if it sounded like backtalk and he agreed. I don't think either of us have ever heard that tone out of him before. I actually kind of like it. Strange, I know, but it means he's communicating instead of shutting down because he's upset. That's my boy, Wes. Make your feelings known!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

If you think that one was bad, wait untill he get's into school.
He will learn a lot more than you could imagine. Kid's pick up everything from other kid's, and Wess will be no different. He will watch and learn.
How scary is that?

Love you!

Jerry Grasso said...

Take the communication in any form you can get, I say...and if he's developing some anger towards Mom and Dad making him do something he doesn't want to do...well, seems kinda neuro-typical in an autistic conversation way, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Jerry

sweetpeas said...

Jess,
Sounds to me like Wesley is taking after his mother in many ways! I knew that your personality would shine through for Wesley! I think it is awesome that he made his feelings known!
Kel

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...