Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Behavior vs. Sensory

I've been having some trouble getting this point across to one of Wes' therapists. She does ABA and with ABA there is only black or white. There is no gray area when it comes to tantrums and whatnot. This can not be when you are dealing with a child with Autism.
I can tell with 99% accuracy when I'm dealing with a sensory problem or a behavioral problem with Wes. Most likely, his outburst are sensory. We've gone off the routine, added something to it, a new place, a new expectation. All these can trigger a fight or flight response to my son. All he needs are a few minutes of some heavy organizing activities and he's back on track. To avoid it all together, you have to remind him in advance of what's going to happen. Sometimes many times to get the point across.

I've had multiple heated discussions with the ABA about this. When he's overwhelmed or frustrated, she forces him to finish a task or to sit down. She blocks his escape and pushes him into his seat. This drives me crazy! I just want to yell "GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY KID!". But I don't. I bite my tongue and tell her he needs some organizing work first before he can perform a new task. She tells me it's behavioral and not to give positive reinforcement for this outbursts. Uhmm, last time I checked, I was his mother and I knew what was best for him and what he needs. I walked over to their corner, grabbed his hand and led him away from her. I got the yoga ball, we did some bouncing and then some deep pressure. Sure enough, after that, he did the new task without any problems and picked up on it quickly. Thank you very much!

I sincerely respect the ABA and what she has done for my son, but I believe that all ABA's should be trained in sensory as well. I know it's more of an OT thing, but it's important when working with a child with autism, because it's not all will full defiance and bad behavior. It's something much bigger. It's Sensory Integration Dysfunction.

1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

I love how much you speak your mind and how well you know your children!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...