Monday, October 29, 2007

First Day of school

Today was Wes' first day of school. The day had finally come. It's strange because it was over a year ago we talked about if he still qualified for services, he would go to preschool when he turned 3. It was before we knew his diagnosis and headed down a completely different road. Now it's here. He's going to school. This is hard for me and not for the reason people think. I'm happy he's going to school. It will be good for him and I. What is hard is me not being in control and watching him gain a new skill. I won't have any idea what he's working on and what he's mastered. The teacher and I will be writing in a communication book, but it's not the same. For more then a year, I sat and watched everything he did with the therapists. I watched him succeed time after time. Now I'm on the outside. I feel cut off from him and it really sucks!

On the upside, I am spending lots of time with Casey. Time I missed out on when he was younger. It's actually more fun now. He's such a ham and makes me laugh constantly. Now that he's found his legs, I'm getting more of a workout then before!


This is a learning process for all of us. In time, we'll all get used to our new routines and settle into a pattern again. Change is hard.


No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...