Friday, October 12, 2007

Preschool intro and IEP meeting

The second IEP meeting went well. Wes and I went an hour before our meeting so he could go into the preschool and get a feel for what it's like with all the kids there. It went better then I ever could have imagined. When we got there, the kids were in circle time picking their center play. Wes was a distraction because he was running back and forth so we had to remove him. He did not like that one bit! He wanted back in that room. Once circle was over and the kids were at their centers, we went back in. I sat in a corner and observed while Wes' volunteer steered him from activity to activity. He loved playing at the water table and even played side by side with another little boy. I was so happy to see that. They end the day with another circle to sing a song or two and say goodbye. Wes actually joined in on the song. He flapped his hands (although I think this was more stimming then actually participating, but I could be wrong) and clapped his hands along with the other kids. Way to go kiddo!

When the meeting began, I felt distracted because we, again, had to bring Casey. He gets into everything and anything now that he's walking. After going over the psychologists review of the behavioral scale, the team discussed taking some time to get to know him. His quirks, likes and dislikes as well as his strengths and weaknesses. I came fully prepared. I had taken the time to sit down and list most of these. I wanted to make sure the team knew my son like I know him. They agreed and we all came to the decision that they would use his IFSP from Early Supports and Services for the first 8 weeks. After that time, the team would meet again and we would put his IEP into place for the rest of the school year. That makes sense to me. I want them to become familiar with Wes and how to deal with his tendencies. He has a lot of them. My biggest fear is that they will think his outbursts are behavior and not sensory. I can clearly tell the difference, but strangers can not. I also decided that I will drive Wes to and from school every day. If he gets comfortable in school quickly, we'll reconsider letting him take the bus the second half of the year, but I doubt it.

So we will meet again in December again for his yearly IEP. I have to keep telling myself that I can request a meeting again if I feel that his goals are too easy or too hard. Or even if I want something else added. It's going to be a great year!

1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

What a positive post. I love it. Wes is so smart and I am so happy he is adjusting well to his new routines. I know it might take some work but you are clearly up for the challenge.

My hats off to you!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...