Thursday, August 2, 2007

New Accomplishments and Reconnections

I just can't stop saying how amazed I am with Wesley. He is just flying through everything his therapist throws at him. It takes him a week to master the first task, a few days to master the next task in the series, and a day from there on out. He can master any imitation, matching, and receptive language in about a day. From there, he has moved on to expressive I.D. This is where instead of the therapist saying "Do this.." and showing him what to do to actually saying what she wants him to do. He started with clap hands. All she says is "clap hands" and he does it! She has been working on this with him for 3 days and he's pretty much mastered it already. She occasionally has to shadow his hands to keep him from doing the wrong movement. As of today, she moved on to "tap head" which he is doing great with!

When we started this, I was concerned that it wasn't teaching him how to follow directions. I mean how often does someone say "do this" and modeling rather then asking for someone to do the action. I was concerned that he wouldn't get it. I discussed with the therapist a few times and she told me that they would work on that once he's mastered receptive and expressive language. I guess he has because he's doing so well with everything.

I made a reconnection with two very old friends I lost touch with. I took the kids to the park the other day and ran into a friend I went to school with. Turns out she lives in the next town over! It was so nice to see a familiar face again. She talked me into making a myspace page. I have been against that website because I didn't want to support the people that give pedophiles and other creeps a way into children's lives. But I did it anyway. I found another very old friend that I've been thinking about for years. I knew she moved away to Nebraska and we lost touch. She and I had been friends since the 3rd grade when she moved to my town. We did a lot together when we were growing up. I don't know why we lost touch. I moved away and she went off to college are my only excuses. Anyway, I found her and she is in town for a week. We are meeting up with some old friends and I can't wait! She is one of those people you want in your life forever.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...