Friday, July 13, 2007

One on One

As I've said before, Wes is totally into Thomas the Train these days. His obsession is still going strong. All day long I hear 'Thomas" as he requests to watch a movie. I still limit the amount he watches and when he requests it, I make him work for it.

Last week, he was very good while I had to run some errands so I wanted to reward him. I found a Thomas the Train that races across the floor when you push the drivers head down. At first he wasn't too thrilled with it, but slowly warmed up. Now, I am proud to announce that he and I play with it together! He sits in the same spot between the doorway to the hall and the living room and I sit across from him. We take turns sending the train chugging towards one another and make train noises. I am amazed that he can sit for 5-10 minutes at a time just playing, just being a two year old.

This is a big step for him because he has never shown joint attention nor has he ever participated in joint play. Parallel play is usually what he prefers. I am so happy that I can share in these moments with him. It just renews my faith that my boy will come back to me.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...