Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Daddy takes a stand

Tim hasn't had that many opportunities to put Wesley in time-out. He's done it in the past when we used to use a play pen, but Wesley has learned to escape so we had to come up with something new. Thanks to Super Nanny , I've taken some ideas from her. While I don't call it the "naughty step", I do use our bottom step as Wes' time-out spot. He's become used to staying put for me because I'm no nonsense, or maybe I'm just mean Mommy.

Last night, Wes hit Tim. A rapid fire slap on top of his head. I told Tim that he needed to be punished for that and I've been using the bottom step. I knew that Wes would not stay put for him. He's not used to Daddy being the bad guy. Tim sat him down, told him why he was being put in time out and not to move. HA! Wes got up and ran for the couch all the while laughing at Daddy. I tried hard to stifle a laugh myself but told Tim to walk him right back to the step with no speaking. He did, over and over and over again. It became a game for Wesley but Tim had to stand his ground. I think it took about 10-15 (23 according to Dad) times before Wes actually stayed put. He was testing Daddy and I knew it. So did Tim. Finally the two minutes were up. Tim told him again why he was in time out, that he can not hit anyone and made him say sorry. All was well in the house again.

I'm pretty sure Wes understands being punished. I'm not sure if he understands 'sorry' but we will always make him say it when he has done something wrong. I've made him say it to other kids and to other adults. I don't believe his autism is an excuse for bad behavior and getting away with it. He should be held accountable for his actions just as much as any other child.

Way to go Daddy for standing your ground and taking charge!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kept count....23 times I had to bring him back to the stairs.

Thanks hon for keeping me focused...it wasn't easy!

Anonymous said...

You are both doing a wonderful job. I am blessed to have such a wonderful son/daughter-in-law and to have two beautiful grandsons. Keep up the good work.
Being a Memere is the greatest gift I have ever received.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
You should be very proud of yourself. 23 times must have seemed like an eternity. Wes will now know you mean business when you are not happy with his behavior. Both of the boys are a blessing and have the best parents any child could have. I love and respect you both very much.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...