Monday, July 9, 2007

DENIED!

Tim and I finally got around to doing the paperwork to see if Wesley is eligible for Social Security. We've been meaning to do it for a few months but put it off because of surgeries, baptisms, and other family things. So we dug out the forms, filled them out long hand to make sure we didn't miss anything and then submitted the online form. This was done with some bickering and well, you know. It was just the initial form and not the formal one.

An appointment needed to be made 60 days after filing the document so Tim and took a couple days to make sure we had all the requirements such as bank statements, birth certificate, etc. My poor husband spent a good chunk of today just trying to get through to the office to make the appointment. After multiple busy signals, disconnections and being put on hold for 40 minutes, in less then 5 he was told Wes was denied. Why you ask? Because Tim makes too much money. Uuuhhh WHAT?!?!

Now mind you, we aren't dirt poor, but we aren't living a comfortable life either. We make just enough each month to pay the bills, put food on the table, and clothes on our kids backs. They come first. That's all. Tim is in need of a new vehicle, but we can't afford new payments. He owns his car and it has well over 200,000 miles (I don't know the exact number). Every year we need to scrape up money to repair it so it passes inspection and makes it through another 12 months. We we're really hoping this money would help us out with groceries and buying Wes clothes when he needs them. Casey just wears hand-me-downs.

So now I need to fill out more paperwork in the appeals process and cross our fingers. I can't understand how a government who is supposed to help people turns away a child who is disabled because my husband makes too much money. Where does it go? Again, we don't live a luxurious lifestyle. And around we go!

1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

Im so sorry Jess. I hope the appeal turns out better results. Keep your chin up!
Love Kel

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...