Thursday, May 24, 2007

Building his skills

Wesley surprised us immensely yesterday. I have been working with Wes and his large Lego blocks for only a couple of days. I used them for imitation. I set out 4 small blocks and told him to "Do This". I placed my block on top of another, and he did the same with his. He picked up on it quickly and I was so proud.

Yesterday, during his ABA therapy, he dumped out the bucket of blocks and started to build. No prompting, no imitating, no requesting. He picked up the blocks and just started to build. He has never used the blocks in that manner. Actually, I've had them put away for a month because he was stimming off of them and using them inappropriately. Normally, he would either choose two blocks to hold in his hands while he ran around the house, throw them around the living room, or kick them. Not anymore.

He has built with them two times now and I couldn't be happier!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

sweetpeas said...

Wes - YOU ARE AMAZING! You too Mom.

Love Auntie Kelli

mjsuperfan said...

Wow, that's wonderful. I sort of hate our Duplo blocks because neither of my twins can use them.

We just started a little ABA with one of our boys, so it's nice to read about Wesley being so successful.

You've got a great blog.

Maddy said...

It's so startling when it first happens [at least for me it was] that you can hardly believe what you're seeing. I'm so happy for you.
Best wishes

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...