Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Cookie Monster

Oh Lord, what have we created? Wesley has gotten the hang of his PECS in no time flat. Maybe too well. He's all about Thomas the Train on PBS Sprout and cookies. It used to be Jacks Big Music Show on Noggin.com . The cookies are just Nilla Wafers because we knew once he understood what it was, he'd ask for it all the time, which he does. It's adorable though. He goes into his book, rips the picture from the Velcro, walks casually over to me and says "cookie?" How can I resist? He gets a cookie. I mistakenly put the picture back into his book, unknowingly giving him the opportunity to ask for another. This goes on about 3 times before I get the "duh!" moment and remove the picture from his book. Problem solved? Nope. He knows the word too and he's too smart to need the picture all the time. So he gets a fourth.

Wesley is rewarded with a small sample of a Thomas movie when he works hard with Danielle (his ABA therapist). Well, it's not entirely true. We have a rewards board that is supposed to go in his PECS book. He was requesting Thomas nearly 24/7, so we removed the rewards page. When his time at the table is over, he gets to choose a reward activity. 99.9%, it's watching Thomas for 2-3 minutes. Danielle and I are discussing whether we should try to branch him out and remove the Thomas picture for awhile. It's hard because he knows and we know it's there, which in turn makes him work hard to earn it.

Yesterday, I was lounging on the couch with Casey on my lap. We were playing peek-a-boo and other games. Wesley wanted to play with his pop-up ball toy. He picked it up and brought it over to me. I told him that when I was done playing with Casey, we could play with the toy. He dropped the toy, ran to the kitchen table, and pulled the picture of the toy out of his book. Little stinker! I ended Casey and my game a little early so we could all play together. Again, how can I deny that? It made the thought to go get the picture (like he's supposed to) to let me know what he wanted.

Wesley, you are an amazing little man. You surprise me more and more every day. Thank you for being my son and choosing me to be your mom.

3 comments:

sweetpeas said...

See what JOY Wesley brings his MAMA!

Im so proud of the "Little Stinker"
Auntie Kelli

Amy said...

I am so happy Wesley is doing so good! PECS for us are going a little slow. Nick tends to stim off the velcro and the pictures-and he gets easily distracted with more than one picture,so right now we are still using one picture. But, he is getting the hang of it. Keep up the great work mommy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
Thank you for being my daughter. I never new just how strong you are.
Having the boys was the best thing that ever happened to you.
It has made you a better person and one I love very much!

Mom

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...