Thursday, April 12, 2007

I have to do what?

About 2 weeks ago, I took Wes to his pediatrician to go over the diagnosis and see what he had to say about it. In his own way, he still refuses to admit he was wrong and should not have put off our concerns about autism. Anyway, I asked about having his heavy metals tested including mercury, lead, and aluminum, just to say I did it. He was on board and made a note to call the lab and set these up for us. He even sent out referrals to a geneticist and to a neurologist. Both of these were referred to us by the Developmental Pediatrician. Well I got a call from the nurse at the Pedi's office and she started to explain that in order to test for mercury and other heavy metals we need to do a 24 hour urine collection. A WHAT! This child isn't even close to being potty trained, has no idea what his potty is for, and has no desire to sit on the potty for anything other then make it go off and sing (yes we have a potty chair that sings. It also knows when he goes and will praise him with another song). So Tim and I have to dedicate an entire weekend day (and night) to following him around while he's naked to collect his urine every time he goes. Oh, this has fun written all over it. While he's napping and sleeping over night, we have to tape a collection bag over his you-know-what to collect any urine he has while he's sleeping. That sounds like even more fun! Wes is a total sensory freak and I can see the battle already starting with trying to tape a bag around him.

Am I just torturing him for no good reason or will this give us some insight into the possibility of where his Autism came from? One part of me wants to say "Nah, he's fine", the other "If you don't do this, you will regret it later". So regret it now and get it over with, or regret it later and hate myself. I'm sucking it up and getting it over with. It's only 24 hours and the boy loves to be naked. Another sensory thing with his clothes.

Tomorrow, we are taking Casey to a Children's Hospital for his kidney. We are doing the MAG 3 scan and I am not looking forward to it at all. His urologist said that it wasn't a matter of life or death but it does look worse then it had before and he wants to know how bad. He said he wouldn't do surgery for another month if he needed it. He explained that his left kidney would stop producing much of his urine so it could drain off while the right kidney picked up the additional slack. Once the left kidney was sufficiently drained, it would start producing again at normal capacity (well normal for him). The cycle will just keep repeating until it is fixed. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

Maddy said...

You have my sympathy on the 'naked' front. It's not an easy one to explain to people.
Best wishes

Peggy said...

Well, you should have a fun weekend! :o) Hope he doesn't start to like the nakedness with mom and dad chasing him around! :o)

sweetpeas said...

Ah and the fun begins! I wish I had a camera to get this moment for you to remember. You will laugh all weekend chasing him around naked. Im sure he will do great!

I have a piece of advice for you that someone gave me before Carter's hand surgery....

"Don't underestimate your child. He always seems to amaze you ~ so what is different this time?"

If you read your posts about how Wesley did something new or how he had a great day, you will be filled with joy and you might ~just might~ remember that he is amazing and will always suprise you and Tim when you least expect it!

PS I always keep your boys in my prayers! I love them!

Felicia said...

Let me know how the scan went. Sammi's big day is on Thursday. I am so nervouse for her. The bag is funny. I had to do that for Sammi and I looked at the tech and said you want me to put that where? It might be a little easier for a boy, but I understand the sensory issues. GOOD LUCK and lots of HUGS!!!

April said...

Good luck! I'm a little behind, busy weekend. I hope it goes well for you.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...