Friday, March 16, 2007

Out of Focus

What a day yesterday was. It was one of Wes' worst days so far that I can remember. I'm surprised that either of us made it out alive. I thought it was going to be a good day because he woke up in a good mood, and even said "on" when he wanted me to turn on his laptop computer. It was the first time he has ever said that word and when I got excited and praised him, he seemed so proud of himself. Jodi showed up at 8 am and Wes instantly knew something was different. She had gotten her hair cut and he was just staring at her, taking her in. It was funny.
Finally, he dug into her "bag of tricks" and he started playing. He was doing well until 10 minutes into the therapy, he started throwing and hitting. I had to put him into time out twice for throwing toys. He was very whiny and just not focusing at all. It was so awful. The worse session he has ever had. Jodi and I did some talking about his behavior and how we should handle it better. Turns out, we were already handling it appropriately. It feels like a failure on my part because if I'm doing it right, then why does he act like this for no reason!
It was also his first day having Speech Therapy finally! After all the insurance issues and whatnot, it was finally here. Turns out that I went to school with his ST and her husband. Small world. She sat on the floor with us and we did a bit of talking while Wes read a book and did his gibberish talk. She tried engaging him in toys but he wasn't interested. She asked me some questions about his regression and his diagnosis. We talked about doing PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) and how we can use it in our home to get Wes to communicate better with us. Lynn stated that she was impressed with how much he understood and communicated given his diagnosis. He sang some songs with her at the end and even did a shape sorter for a little bit. He got 3 shapes right on his own! I know that once we see her more often, that he will warm up to her nicely and it will be a good match. She is a great person and I trust her with my child.
As long as they can code his ST as Early Intervention, it will be covered with our insurance. If not, then we need to come out of pocket and I have no idea how we are going to do that. I didn't ask how much she charges because I am pretty sure they can code it correctly. We are also looking into Social Security for Wes. It will help with me not working and he has the right to collect since autism is a disability. We just aren't sure of the stipulations and what is required.

Through all this, Casey is due for an ultrasound on his left kidney. He was born with Hydronepherosis which is just a dilation of the kidney. Extra fluid surrounds the kidney but doesn't cause any harm or pain. We found this out on our 20th week ultrasound while I was pregnant with him. It hasn't gotten worse so far, but it's not gotten any better either. He's had two procedures to rule out reflux and blockage which is good. This will just be something he will either grow out of, or live with. When he becomes older and plays sports, he will have to keep himself very hydrated and be careful. People live long lives with this. His right kidney is working perfectly so if something were to happen with his left, his right one will pick up any slack. During one of the tests it showed this his left kidney is working more then his right which is strange, but good. He had his 6 month check up and he is growing so well. He is 19 1/4 lbs and 27 inches. Tall and beefy! Just how I like em.
I have no idea how I keep all these things straight in my head. I have more appointments scheduled then I care to say. Keeping them straight is like playing an orchestra and not missing a beat. Thankfully, Tim has been really good about taking the kids to appointments I have to miss because of something else or being home so I don't have to drag both kids along. I feel like a juggler in the circus just hoping I don't drop a ball.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...