Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It's Potty Time!

Today I bought a potty chair for Wesley. We were told by the Developmental Pediatrician who diagnosed Wes, that we shouldn't count our stars on potty training because most Autistic kids take a lot of time and aren't usually ready to potty train until they are about 3 1/2 to 4 years old.

Tim and I understand because Wes has few words and "potty" certainly isn't one of them. I thought that we could keep the chair in the living room at first. Give him a chance to get used to it, like to sit on it and play with it. It's one of those cool interacting ones. It senses when the child sits and sings an encouraging song. At the bottom of the pot, it has sensors so it knows when the child has gone and again plays a great "way to go" song. It reminds the child to flush and wash their hands when they are done. It also has a sticker dispenser for rewards and a chart to keep track.

I'm not holding my breath on this happening soon. We do notice signs that Wesley has to go. He usually hides in a corner and whines if anyone comes near him until he's "finished". If you get to close, he'll put his arms up, fists out and really whine. We usually just leave him be and when he comes back into the room, we change him. He hates to have his diaper changed, although, he's finally got it that it's gonna happen whether he likes it or not. He has become accustomed to laying on his floor to have it changed when we take him upstairs. We moved the changing table to Casey's room so the floor is all we have. He'll lay on the floor with his legs in the air and cry. He doesn't mind running around naked so we're not sure why he's crying. Is it a typical 2 year old thing, or is it an ASD thing?

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

Naked boy is how I trained Chase. I let him run around naked and he realized that he does not have a diaper on and he liked to use the talking potty.

Good Luck.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...