Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning

There is just too my information to sort out. My head is full of facts, statistics, diets, therapies, ect. I have no idea where to begin the sort.
I belong to a parenting website, and on that website is a bulletin board for parents of autistic children. I find the board very useful, helpful, and supportive. That's where a lot of this information comes from. I try to stand clear of searching the web because it can bring about a lot of scary things and I frankly don't want to OD myself or Wesley.

A big topic on the board is a Gluten Free and Casein Free diet. It's pretty much eliminating all or most of both. Gluten is known to give bread dough it's elasticity and chewiness like in bagels. It's a undigested protein called a peptide which is like an opiate. Yup, like a drug. Casein is milk products like milk and cheese. Well this will certainly be a challenge since Wes's diet consists of pretty much bread products and dairy. I haven't done much research into it and we're still waiting to see a nutritionist before I start him on any strict diet. Taking these two things out of a childs diet is like going through detox. Autistic kids crave these things because of the "high" it make them feel. They go through withdrawls much like an addict.

The other is having his blood or hair or even urine tested for metals. Metals such as aluminum, lead, mercury, ect. We all ingest metals from the environment like in our foods and our body expels them in some way. Most kids with Autism hold these metals in which is thought to cause the delays most have. If the hair test shows low metals, it's probably because the body is holding those in. The best test is for a urine test. I've seen others say they went to a Naturopath for the urine test. I wouldn't even know where to begin finding one! I know my pediatrician won't help because he didn't believe me in the first place. I've looked in the phonebook with no luck.

The thing is, I'm not even certain these would help him. He's making great strides since we started therapy and even on his own. He's mimicking a lot more which is a great sign and even spontaneously using words. He's asking for help using his toys and the look of shear joy on his face when he does it on his own is priceless. We haven't started on the increase in therapy yet so maybe that is all he needs to boost himself.

Tim and I are discussing that I remain being a stay at home mom for awhile. I think it's for the best with all the added things going on. We are waiting to see if he gets this new position he's put in for and if he does, it will be easier for me to stay home. Right now I'm clipping coupons, family has been great with buying us some necessities for the kids and Casey is wearing all of Wes's hand-me-downs. I'd rather sacrifice the little things then watch someone else take care of my babies.

2 comments:

sweetpeas said...

Jess, I am so sorry to hear about Wes' diagnosis. However, Im so glad that you pushed the dr's for a diagnosis. I know that you and Tim will do everything in your power to help him over come as much as he can. I would like to suggest calling Karen Livernois of A.L.I.C.E. Inc. regarding her support group and general knowledge of the system. When I say system I mean therapies and so forth. She could also help you with anything you might need when times are tough. Karen is an unbelievable resource and has helped so many families. Im so glad to hear Casey's kidney is ok. I had gotten an update on the kids from your Aunt Lisa about a week ago. Guess what??? Carter and your cousin have the same prosthetic guy! Small World. Remember - keep your chin up and call me if you need to talk anytime. Love you guys all very much!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so angry for you that your pediatrician basically ignored your concerns. But, very happy that you have found help and that the therapy is helping! A very good friend of mine teaches ABA, and I hope that helps Wes.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...