Friday, February 16, 2007

First Evaluation

On August 31, 2006, Wesley had an evaluation by Early Intervention. Neither Tim nor I knew what to expect. We were anxious to get started though. Two evaluators came and "played" with Wesley on the living room floor. Wesley did not seem very interested at first. After awhile he warmed up and played with a small variety of their toys. After a couple of hours, they came up with his level of development.

Cognitive: 12-14 months old
Social Emotional : 12-15 months
Gross Motor: 18-20 months
Fine Motor: 12 months
Communication: 12-14 months
Self Care: 18 months

Wesley was just 2 months shy of turning 2 at this point and as you can see, he was about a year behind in almost all the categories. This wasn't a surprise, but still came as a shock. I really didn't realize just how far behind he was. It's hard not to compare your child to others, but I could certainly see the difference between Wesley and the other 2 year olds we would meet at the park or at an indoor activity place. It would break my heart to see my son not doing normal 2 year old things. His behavior was certainly at a 2 year old level, or was it? Was it because he was frustrated that he couldn't communicate with us or was it because he couldn't have his way. Was it because we went off the routine, or was it because he was tired;hungry;thirsty;cranky. The only person who knows is Wesley and he can't tell us. That is the most disheartening of this whole thing. What is going on in that mind of his?

1 comment:

Maddy said...

I think that when you first see those statistics in written form it's like a smack in the face, but because you've done such a great job of getting him evaluated early the prospects are very positive.
Best wishes

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...