Monday, December 8, 2008

Not perfect, but close

I don't believe in the word perfect because nothing is perfect. Everything has it's flaws.

Now, I know my last post was a downer, but I'm sort of a literal thinker myself. After taking a few days to think about it (and a comment from a blogger Dad who I hold much respect for), I need to look at what he has accomplished since last year rather than how much farther he needs to go. He has made huge progress and I do notice that, but my brain is always thinking of what's coming next. He has a pretty solid IEP this year. It's not perfect, but I can't expect it to be. It will certainly meet his needs and help propel him forward for next year.

Today was the annual IEP meeting for Wesley. It's not perfect, but I can't expect it to be. It will certainly meet his needs and help propel him forward for next year with just the right amount of pushing. Listening to all of his team made me see that I need to change my thinking. Every last one had said how much progress he's made since last year and that while he has a way to go, he's moving ahead at a steady pace. He's able to sit in circle time, he's able to participate and complete art projects, make center choices on his own and help lead the class when it's his turn. Last year, it was a miracle to get him to even sit in a table near circle without a tantrum. I say that's pretty big.

My other mission is to stop thinking like one of Wes' therapists and start thinking like his Mom. I can still help him learn and grow without constantly obsessing on what he is or isn't doing at this moment. It's taking away from my ability to just love him and make sure he knows he can count on me and depend on me for whatever he needs.

1 comment:

Casdok said...

Your new mission sounds great! We all get downers, and i think thats one of the positive things about blogging - we can get them off our chest and will be well supported.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...