Friday, December 19, 2008

Murphy's Law

When one child is sick, it's going to run like Usain Bolt through our house. And it did. Coughing, fevers, stuffy noses, runny noses, and ear infections.

Both boys had been feeling under the weather but nothing that warranted a call to the doctors until today. Wes woke up as his usual self but still wasn't eating a good breakfast. An hour later, he ran over to me in tears that I've never seen before. I could tell his cry was a pain cry and it was serious. He tolerates pain pretty well. Fifteen minutes after getting hurt, he's fine, off and running. This time was different. I rocked and consoled him as best I could until the Childrens Advil kicked in and the doctors office opened. By the time I was able to call, he was totally tuned out to the pain. I kept asking him what hurt to make sure he understood and the story didn't change. He kept clutching at his ear and crying. At one point, he grabbed my hand and said "Boo Boo ear Mama! Rub, rub, rub!" I lost it. I can't stand when my babies are in pain and I can't take it away for them. I was so greatful that he could tell me what hurt instead of the guessing game like usual. That's even worse.

So 3 hours later, both kids have ear infections and will be on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Meanwhile, Tim and I are still suffering through our colds. Did I mention that I hate winter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I hate to tell you this, but no matter what age the child is, no mother can stand to see her baby sick or in pain.
Love You
Mom

Casdok said...

Oh Poor Wes. I hope both your boys are better soon.
I know just what you mean about how it feels not to be able to take thier pain away.
Hugs

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...