Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Early Christmas Present

After a follow up appointment with Wes' gastro (more on that later) Tim and wanted to take the kids out to eat for being good. We've been cutting back on eating out a lot so it was a nice treat. We headed to Friendly's for some yummy food and even yummier ice cream. It was pretty quiet at first, and then started to get real busy. Sitting in a booth behind us was a family with a little boy probably about the age of three. He was so cute, but was giving his parents a bit of a headache. The mom told him to come sit on her side of the booth which happened to be the side closest to us. A couple of times, the little boy popped his head our way and giggled. Wes was done eating and was laying down. The second time the boy popped over, Wes sat up, smiled and said "Hi Dougie!" I have no idea who Dougie is but did he just initiate a greeting all on his own?! The Mom laughed and told her son to ask what his name was. Wes immediately piped up "My name is Wesley". Again, we were amazed. He replied with help from his mom that his name was Matthew. I waited to see what Wes did and when he didn't respond, I told him to say "Hello, Matthew". The two played a quick game of peek-a-boo and then were instructed to sit down and eat their foods. Tim and I couldn't have been more pleased.
It was the best Christmas gift we could ever receive. To see our child make a connection with a child he has never seen before. To be delighted in what a child his age is expected to do just melted my heart. I can not wait for school to start so I can share this with his teachers!

2 comments:

Casdok said...

Im sitting here with a big smile. I just love these heart melting moments.
Yay for Wes!!
And merry christmas to you all!

sweetpeas said...

What a perfect way to start the Holiday!

Merry Christmas

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...