Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Our next venture

We're moving on to trying something new. Cranio Sacral Therapy. I've read into it, but still don't quite understand it 100%. What I get is that it's a manipulative technique kind of like chiropractic care. There is a wonderful mother in an autism support group that we belong to that has tried this with her son. I've been in touch with a therapist and they will do one session free to see if it will work with Wes. I'm not sure if one session will show anything so we're willing to do a few sessions. Luckily, they accept insurance and New Hampshire Medicaid so we won't have to come out of pocket (keeping my fingers crossed).
I guess I'll understand it more when I see how it's done and talk to the therapist more about it. My theory is I'm willing to try anything that doesn't involve pumping Wes with medication. A massage can't hurt can it?

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

Jessica, received your comment...thanks for the info. I'll look into it this week. I'm also interested in this therapy & looking forward to hearing how it goes! :)

Casdok said...

I looked into this once, so will be interested to hear how you get on.

Lynn Stallworth said...

We're going to a DAN next week. The boys keep breaking out and hives. I don't know what's up. Give us a review on your new therapy.

Anonymous said...

I can attest that the therapy works wonders on individuals. It has made a world of difference for me with my migraines. I'm not sure how it works but it does! Did you find someone locally? Hope to be able to spend some quality time with the boys now that I'll be retired in 3 more days!
Field trip looked like fun. Wesley is doing so well.
Diane

Jerry Grasso said...

Jessica: About your comment on my blog. You may find that Wes, as he goes through therapy and grows (and hopefully becomes more engaged, etc..) that he gets some of your father's jokes. My dad and I are very sarcastic by nature, but often we'll say our piece to Demetrius and tell him we are joking, and try to use a different tone of voice, etc...cues for him to recognize a joke. Sometimes he will say to us...., "Daddy is joking me!" Which means he gets that this is a joke...may not literally because of the way his mind works, but he knows that I'm talking to him and paying attention to him.

Obviously, I don't know your family situation AT ALL, but maybe this is your dad trying to reach Wes in his own way? Work with it and see if you can help the two of them make a connection that works for both of them.

Alot to ask, but I'm feeling touchy feely tonight. :-)

Jerry Grasso said...

Oh, and I updated your new blog on my blogroll!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...