Friday, April 4, 2008

Making Progress

Yesterday was the meeting for Summer Program and to go over the progress Wes has made since starting school. He does qualify for Summer Program which we knew he would and we were told from the beginning. He shows enough deficit that he could regress over the summer. He will have 3 classes a week, each 2 hours long for 6 weeks. I think that's sufficient. It also gives us two days to do fun activities and join plenty of social situations.

So onto the progress. Wes has achieved most of his goals set for the first 3 months. The social piece was the area of least progress made. We weren't really surprised there. The other area, where he made satisfactory progress was in Academics. His goal was to label 3 different colors or shapes, and point to 5 different colors or shapes. While we all know he knows these things, he labels and points sporadically. They said they couldn't count that as achieved because he isn't consistent. I understand that. I don't like it, but I understand it. So all in all, he's doing very well. I'm so proud of how hard he works.

I asked his Speech Therapist at school if she thinks he would benefit from more speech outside of school. She said she sees such wonderful progress, that she didn't think it was necessary. She is working really hard on getting him to use more nouns and verbs, so we are doing the same at home. Slowly, we are introducing full sentences using both nouns and verbs. He will catch on quickly.

My mission this summer is to get Wes involved in lots social situations. It's not always easy when I'm by myself. Casey has become quite the handful and most times, I'm trying to keep him from running away or doing something he's not supposed to. The minute I get involved with Wes, I have to stop to drag a 1 year old off a chair or from running into the street. God love him!

2 comments:

Casdok said...

Sounds as though he is making great progress! You must be very proud!
C dosnt point with his fingers but he does with his eyes!

You certainly have your hands full!

Anonymous said...

Great job Wesley!! Memere is so proud of you. Keep up the good work. I know you are enjoying school. I'd love to spend some time with both of you this summer.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...