Friday, February 1, 2008

Yellow Rides and Social Guys

Okay, so I know this is more my hang up than it is Wes' so I'm taking a deep breath and letting him grow up. As of Monday, he will be a bus rider. Damn, this is hard for me. Why is it so freakin hard for me!?! He's still my little boy, that's why. He's still my three year old who needs me. Maybe I just want to believe he needs me more than he does. Letting go is the hardest part of parenting. Would it be easier if he were a girl? I don't know.

Yesterday, while I was running up to the school with Casey in tow, Wes didn't see me so he just got right on the bus with C (his aide) right behind him. He went to the back of the bus and when C asked if he wanted to sit, he crawled right up on a seat and proceeded to flap excitedly. I know it's because I wasn't there. I put my hang ups on my child. So, after learning this, I decided we'd give it a go. One way of course. I will still drive him in the morning because I want to still be able to connect with his teachers and such. I'm a hands on parent. I'm so nervous for him, but it will be much easier on me and Casey. Poor kid gets the short end of the stick with this one.

His aide came out to show me a video she took of Wes and his friend Z. Z is the same little boy who made that wonderful picture for Wes. They were rolling down an incline mat and having a ball. Wes was actually saying "One, Two, Three, Go Z! ". It was so cute. Then Z would take his turn and Wes would watch while doing his happy dance. He's really connecting to this little boy and it looks like Z is connecting with Wes. He has started labeling the kids in his class using their names as well. The teachers took pictures of them all and using those pictures, he's learning their names. He doesn't have them all mastered, but he absolutely has Z mastered! I really hope to have Z over some day for a playdate. The ball is in Z's moms court. I gave her our number when I gave her the thank you note. Maybe I'll try sending another note. I don't want to push her, but if the boys are becoming fast friends in school, I'd like to continue that out of school. We'll see.

2 comments:

Casdok said...

I would certainly encourage friends!
Good luck with the bus!

Anonymous said...

Don't wait for the other mother. Call her up and invite them both over. The mom can sit and have tea or coffee or whatever. Wow, what a great connection!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...