Saturday, February 9, 2008

Anniversary

Today marks the anniversary of when Wes was diagnosed. It was a year today around 11am that we were told what both Tim and I knew but feared. It was a very dark day for me. We left the doctors office and I cried the entire way home. I immediately turned the computer on when we got home and started searching like I had never before. I wanted to know everything and anything there was to know. I wanted to connect with other parents who knew how I felt. I overwhelmed myself to the point of near hysterics.

Looking back, I still taste the nasty bitterness of my realizations being confirmed. I don't feel the same anymore, but I can still remember. Wes has awed me in every way possible. He was nonverbal, tantrums at every corner, and lost to us. Today, he has an abundance of words, using sentences and clearly making connections with peers and other adults. It never occured to me that I'd be able to talk with my son, that our connection would be so much greater than it already was.

The word 'cure' has left my vocabulary. There is nothing to cure. There is only growth and fostering his amazing abilities. There is only learning from him and enjoying his quirks. There is only Wesley. The same child I gave birth to over 3 years ago. The one I've loved since the first time I felt him kick inside me. I thank God for choosing me for this journey and for being able to raise a special child like Wesley.

4 comments:

Casdok said...

That brought back some memories for me to. But in my day we didnt have computeres at home so i rushed down to the library.
Sounds as though your gorgeous boy has made great progress. You must be so proud.

Anonymous said...

Wesley,
I loved listening to you read Brown Bear, Brown Bear in church yesterday. What a wonderful reader you are. Memere is sooooooo proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Love you.

Lynn Stallworth said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. It is an inspiration to me just starting out in this process to see the wonderful progress your beautiful son has made. I told my husband one night that I feel really blessed that God thought enough of us as parents to give us TWO very special boys. They bring joy and laughter to our life everyday. To me, they are normal because all I've known is who they are, I haven't known them any other way. If that makes sense :o)
I have a brother who's "mentally challenged" and he still lives with my parents. Well, most people their age are retired, traveling, etc. But, they cannot so they can care for him. My mom said she wouldn't have it any other way. Her life doesn't seem abnormal compared to others. She just has a different reality.

I hope you don't mind me visiting your blog. It's reassuring to read how far these children can come. I'm going to have to add you to my favorite bloggers list :o)

michele_k said...

I also remember the date and time J got his diagnosis. It was a hard moment but it's one I look back at now as a new beginning to the fulfilling life we have.

I can see Wes is a wonderful boy and it's great he's made such progress over the year. With love and guidance our kids can do anything.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...