Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Flashbacks and Mini Successes

I had a major flashback today when I emptied Wes' backpack after school. Inside was a Scholastic Book order form I remember when I was in school getting so excited to bring them home. I would read every description of every book and circle the ones I really wanted to buy. I couldn't wait to show my mom which books I wanted. Of course, I couldn't get them all. Sometimes, I couldn't get any, but I was still excited to get the form. Inside Wes' bag was another note stating that coming up, the kids would get a chance to go to the library and purchase books through a book fair. Another exciting time for me! I usually was allowed to buy one or two books through the book fair in the library. Seeing all the new, crisp, and shiny books just made my week.

I really hope that Wes shares my enjoyment for books when he's able to understand. To see him paw through the pages of the book form would be so nostalgic for me. I think I get my love for books from my mom. She was never without a book. Unfortunately, due to my busy life, I don't have much time for books anymore. Occasionally, I'll get the opportunity to really sit down and read.

Today, I was able to actually get Wes on the bus as opposed to just standing at the bottom of the stairs. It took a little bit of coaxing, but he stood next to the bus driver and looked around. It was only for 60 seconds, but it's a huge step for him. We said goodbye to our friend who was already strapped in, bye to the bus driver and her monitor and got off. No tears! If you recall, our first experience was horrible. The bus driver is being so nice with letting us take baby steps when I pick him up from school. Eventually, he'll be on that bus. It might not be until next year, but it will happen!

2 comments:

sweetpeas said...

OMG I totally loved the book fairs too!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
Thank-you for the compliment. I do love to read and I hope Wes will too. Keep reading to him, and I'm sure he will be reading to you one day. I know he loves to look at the pictures and that's a start in the right direction.

Love You
Mom

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...