Friday, December 14, 2007

I want cracker

The title says it all folks. However, in case you don't get it, let me elaborate.

I had a couple of Ritz crackers still in their roll on the sofa. They were left over from afternoon snack we enjoyed in the living room. I was too busy playing with the kids to put them away so I just left them sitting on the back of the sofa. After a few hours, Wesley climbed on the couch, grabbed the left over crackers and brought them over to me. Looking me straight in the eye, he said "I want cracker". I thought for a moment that it came from Casey, but that was almost as impossible as it coming from Wesley. I held up one single cracker and he repeated "I want cracker". Holy Cow! Total left field but okay. I'll take it.

I know that he has been using 'I want' with the PECS system at school and of course using his words to go along with it. But there was no picture. There was only crackers, he and I. He used the sentence appropriately and he got what he wanted. Now we're on to that next phase and I couldn't be more excited.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! How long has he been going to preschool? Sounds like it is a wonderful place for your little one to be. My sister has a nephew with autism, I hope he does as well. There seem to be more and more children with it these days. Good luck to you and your family.

Jessica said...

Wes has been in early intervention since Sept of 06. He has been receiving ABA therapy since March of 07 and started preschool the end of October. He has made considerable gains since he started the ABA at home. He went from mostly nonverbal to 3 word sentences in less than a year. I am so stinkin' proud of him!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetheart,

Wait until he asks for the car!!!!
I'm so very proud of him. He is so handsome. School has done wonders for him. I'm sure there will be many more supprises ahead.

Love you
Mom

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...