Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Q & A

Wes has reached the next milestone ( in my eyes anyway). He is now answering questions instead of repeating what we say (echolalia). This is very encouraging to us. I'm still trying to figure out whether he is repeating answer's we have given him, but I'm thinking he's just listening and answering. In my previous post, I mentioned that he labeled the Thomas characters without any hesitation. It didn't occur to me that he answered my question without repeating it, until now.

Earlier this week, he was roaming the living room carrying a blue and yellow mega block. I stopped him on his way by and asked him what color are his blocks. He answered "bwoo an yewo." Not only did he answer me, but he used 3 words and made a sentence! Well bust my buffers as Thomas says (I didn't realize I was that corny).

He loves to use the computer and visit Kneebouncers.com. He can choose from a variety of games, but they all require just using one key. When asked which game he wants to play, he answers with the name of the games. One of the games has a tractor with an animal in tow ( sheep, cow, elephant, dinosaur, and camel), and when I ask him what animal that is, he answers, including the dinosaur!

This is huge. When I look back to when we started this journey, I never thought I would hear my child speak again. In the back of my mind I kept thinking he would be the one who never uttered a word except to vocal stim. I prayed to just hear him say mommy or daddy. Look how far he's come. He is an exceptional boy and I will never ever doubt his abilities again. I'm learning from Wesley

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...