Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I know my child

One of my pet peeves is when people ask about Wes, and they either assume that he will never have a quality life, or that he will someday snap out of this and be a typical child. Assured that I have explained how hard he has to work at simple tasks, they still assume one of these two things.
The other thing that gets me is when others think that I can't read my child. He is not quite non-verbal, but words don't come easy to him either. Sometimes, I can see him going through the filing cabinet, which is his mind, to find the right word. He will throw out every word he knows until he gets to the right one. Occasionally, he'll stop and think before he responds which is great. When he can't find any words, I can clearly read his body language to know how he's feeling and reacting to a situation. This ties to the sensory and behavioral issues. My son may not be able to talk to me and let me know how he's feeling, but I can read him like a book. Like no one else can. NO ONE.

1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

You got it! NO ONE knows a child like the mother!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...