Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Get on the bus



Or better yet, stay on the bus!


The schools bus company sent over a bus that Wesley will be riding in to school in a few weeks. I called on Friday to see if we could take a tour of a bus so Wes will become familiar with it when the big day arrives. They sent a bus over to our house after the morning run. I was really excited and thought Wes would do well. I was wrong. Boy was I wrong.

At first, we sat on the stoop to wait for it to arrive. My first big mistake. He rather watch the cars driving by instead of exploring the bus. We walked around the front (or rather me practically dragging him) to look into the bus and greet the driver and her monitor. Wes was reluctant to get on, but did so. He and I sat down on the seat while I talked to the driver. She revealed that she would most likely not be his driver. Well great, so much for recognizing a familiar face. She said she wanted to put him in the harness so he could see what will happen. That did not go over well. He hated it. He tried yanking it over his head even when it was buckled tightly to the seat. He cried and screamed. My mind is going a mile a minute with thoughts that this is a big mistake. I should just drive him and pick him up. The school is just 2-3 blocks from our house. We can walk there. The driver unbuckles him and he immediately heads for the door saying "All done!". Yes, we were all done. I took a few pictures, spoke very briefly with the driver and we said our goodbyes. All the while, Wes was pulling and trying to get away.

Oh boy, what am I going to do? I really thought he would be okay. He loves to go for rides. I figured the only problem he would have, is that the ride is too short. Guess he proved me wrong again. Now the question is, do I just bite the bullet and let him ride hoping he'll get used to it, or do I drive him because it's a comfort for both of us? I know most will talk me out of driving him myself because he does have to get used to riding a bus. I can't drive him forever. My retort will be that someday he'll be old enough to understand the bus more and want to ride with his "friends". This is not that day




1 comment:

sweetpeas said...

Oh boy that is a really tough dilemma. I really hope some of your friends with experiences similar have some advice. I hope whatever you choose to do will work for you and Wes. BTW I wonder if there are any books or programs that could help get him excited for the bus. Just a thought! Love ya

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...