Thursday, August 16, 2007

Computer Savvy

Wes received a cute Fisher Price laptop for his birthday last year. Being that it was recommended for 3 year old's, I knew Wes wouldn't know how to use it. He typically would stim off of it. There are 4 options of play to choose from. There are two that Wes likes the best. A game involving letters with a rain theme and one with music. Wes would tap the keys rapid fire with one hand and flap with the other. We have tried doing hand over hand to get him to use it correctly. I guess it's paid off.

The rain game is simply a letter falls from the sky as a rain drop. You must select the right key that corresponds with the letter on the screen to catch the rain drop in a bucket. The last two days, Wes has played this game with about 96% accuracy. The only ones he gets confused on is the C and the K as well as the S and the F. The computer produces the nearly the same sound for them so he gets confused. There are one or two that he just doesn't know or can't distinguish so he doesn't bother trying. I'm amazed that he can recognize the sounds they make rather then what they look like. Heck, I'm just amazed that he can do it with that much accuracy. I don't know many 2 year old's who can do that, let alone one with autism.

I think part of the reason he can do it is because we have the Leap Start Letter Magnets on our fridge and he plays with them all the time. Even singing along with each letter. Occasionally he can find the letters we request, but he mainly likes to play alone with it.

Is there anything this kid can't accomplish?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I find that tapping into their potential gives me brain ache. [or is that heart burn?]
Cheers

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...