Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Boo Boo Fixer

In the last week or so, Wesley has been seeking me out whenever he gets hurt. It could be a stubbed toe, or he fell off of something. Big or small, he seeks me out for comfort. It melts my heart and the love and need to protect him becomes so strong. He has never done this before. He would cry and go on doing what he was doing, or he'd leave the room and hide somewhere.

Yesterday, he was goofing off on the couch and fell off. He immediately stood up and came running to me. I scooped him up, kissed his head and hugged him tight. Today, he stubbed his little toes on the kitchen chair and walked over to me. He wasn't crying, but I knew he needed comfort. Sometimes, that's all he needs. Other times, I rock him in my arms and sing him a song. It's almost like the autism disappears when he's hurt. Not that I mind that!

It's nice to be able to be there for him when he needs me instead of retreating into his own world and away from the rest of us. The real Wesley is immerging and we get to interact with him more and more.

I owe a huge thank you to his behaviorist Danielle. She has done wonders with him in the short time she's been here. His speech is improving, his attention is improving, the tantrums are diminishing, and he actually understands commands.

I'm just so thankful to be the Boo Boo Fixer

2 comments:

Maddy said...

I now have a couple like that too. They both 'injure' themselves in different ways frequently and finally I'm the one they turn to.
Best wishes

sweetpeas said...

What a great feeling. One of the reasons we want to be a Mother!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...