Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Adventures in Dentistry

Today was Wes' first trip to the dentist. I was dreading this appointment but it had to be done. He hates to have his teeth brushed and has started to grind his teeth. Those and along his incessant need to suck on his blanket warranted a trip.

All morning, I had been telling Wesley what was going to happen today to kind of prepare him. I told him we were going to see a new, really nice doctor and he would look inside his mouth and admire his beautiful teeth. It seemed to have worked...well, sort of.

When his name was called, I had to drag him into the hall that lead to the exam rooms. He wanted to run around the waiting room and was mad when I said he couldn't. So, we make our way to the exam room and he seems to be doing good. He voluntarily climbed up onto the chair and sat to play with his busy beads. The hygienist gave him a ride up and down. He was a bit skeptical about that. Once the dentist had come in, he seemed pretty relaxed. He had Wes sit on my lap facing me and then laid him back on his lap. He was able to get his fingers into Wes' mouth and looked around. He said that his teeth looked very good and to keep doing what we've been doing.

We've pretty much been fighting him every night and some mornings (when I can pin him down) to brush his teeth. It's a complete, all out battle, but it has to be done. We go back in 6 months for a cleaning. Now that should be a real trip!

3 comments:

Maddy said...

My youngest 'attended' the dentist with the other two, but it was only on the last visit that we could get him to sit in the chair - you're doing great.
Cheers

Peggy said...

Good job Wes and Jess! I am so glad you made it through the first visit and that his teeth look great.

YEAH!!!

sweetpeas said...

Im so happy for you and Wes!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...