Sunday, April 22, 2007

Surgery Date

We have a tentative date on the surgery for Casey. It's Thursday, June 14th. It seems like it's so far away, but we have allot going on next month so it's okay. Casey is being baptised on the 20th of May and I am so glad it's happening before the surgery. We aren't extremely religious, but we do go to church when we can. It will make me feel better to know he's recognized in our church before surgery though.

The doctor will be back from vacation on Monday and I'm anxious for his call. We will finalize the details and I want to know exactly how the surgery will go, how big his incision will be, and what we can expect with the healing process. I'm nervous about bringing him home because he sits upright in his car seat and I don't want him in any pain during the hour drive.

Already in his short 7 1/2 months, I can tell he doesn't give up without a fight. He has such a beautiful and sunny personality, I often wonder how on earth he can be my child. I'm not always doom and gloom, but man is he always happy! He can go from crying to laughing with one touch to his knees or belly. He knows exactly how to get what it is he needs or wants. It amazes me how different he and Wesley really are. I keep forgetting that I don't need to show him how to do everything unlike Wesley. He needs to learn things for himself and he actually enjoys experimenting with the world around him. It's strange to me to need two parenting styles. I didn't think my children would be exactly the same, but I didn't think they would be so drastically different either. Where I need to sit and help Wesley focus and learn what he needs to do, Casey just figures it out on his own. Life is strangely amazing.

4 comments:

April said...

Jessica, I am so sorry things are not going to great right now. Poor Casey, croup is no fun, Brandon gets that at least 2x a year. We have the neb and the steriods on hand. I hope he's recovered from that by now.

Meltdowns! Its going to be hard to adjust your life to fit with what Wesley needs, but you can do it. When you can, ask others for help. Even if its just for someone to watch him for a half hour so you can run to the post office. Take a deep breathe and one day at a time right? I think about Rebecca's issues I deal with daily and when I start to have a meltdown I just tell myself it could be worse. You know? Its amazing what bothers me now when 8 months ago I just took it in stride. I hate to sound cliche, but you will get get into a routine and take it all in stride, it just takes time. :)

Dentist visit, what fun is that first appt huh? lol

April said...

Oh yeah and I'm glad you are finally getting a date set up for his surgery. I hope it goes well. Poor little guy. He's endured so much, he really is a fighter. When you were describing him you reminded me so much of my bf baby boy. He is 7 months old and he is in a cast on both legs, waist for the next 6 weeks and he just takes it in stride and smiles. He got his leg caught in his crib rails and rolled over and broke his leg. They took him in the doctor 2 days after it happened and the doc said ear infection and so he went a week with a broken leg before anyone knew. He was just slightly fussy but still had lots of smiles. :( Babies are so amazing.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

It seems like a lifetime ago since Casey was born. You and Tim have come such a long way. You are an amazing Mom and I am very proud of you. Casey is a fighter and he will be just fine. You won't be able to keep in down for long:)
Love you
Mom

Peggy said...

Casey will do so great. Bring his favorite blanket or stuffed animal and bring yourself some snacks and a magazine. You won't read it, but you can flip through it. The hardest part is when they start to wheel them away. You want to run and grab him and take off. Know he will be in good hands with many people praying for him and sending healthy healing vibes.

Isn't it amazing that kids can be so different. I know of my siblings, so many of us and complete opposites! The fact that Casey is so happy and content is a sign of his life. He is happy and content in his everyday! You may question yourself but his smile is a tell tale sign of you doing a great job as a mom!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...