Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Amazing Escaping Wesley!

Oh boy, have we got a problem. Wesley has learned to escape the playpen. The one place we can put him for time out and know he will stay put has failed. I knew this day was going to come, but I figured we had a few months left before he would even think of trying it. My, oh my has things changed with him.

We started using the play pen as a time out spot when Wes turned 2. It was perfect. He could lay down if he chose and think about what he did. We always made sure to explain why he was put in there even if there was a chance he didn't understand. We only made him stay in it for 1 minute. When that was up, we explained why what he did was wrong and make him apologize. Since we can't use his words, he gives us a kiss which is fine for us.

Well tonight, it was a marathon time out cycle because he just wouldn't listen. Well on the 4th time, he swung his leg over and climbed right out. Both Tim and I were sitting in the living room. The play pen is in the dining room. He ran right into the room with a huge proud grin. Neither Tim nor I could believe our eyes.

So we marched him right back into the dining room and placed him back into the play pen. 30 seconds and there he goes again! We've decided to continue to use it and if he climbs out, we will put him back in. There is no way we can expect him to sit on a chair or a stool and stay put. He just doesn't have the capacity to do that. The play pen was a safe, quiet spot for him to think.

I guess he's just getting older and too big for his britches!

1 comment:

April said...

awww...what a silly boy! But oh so smart, he knows he doesn't want to be there, even though he deserves it at times. lol

Good luck!

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...