Thursday, May 15, 2008

Socially Acceptable

I received an update from the school about what Wesley is working on with his 1:1. I couldn't be more proud of the boy. This report comes from the Behavioral Consultant for the school. He is the one that sets up the programs for all the special needs children. I want to share with you the report on the social piece.

"Wesley is showing an interest in his peers. He enjoys being part of a group; will watch his peers; and is just beginning to follow the lead of peers during familiar activities. Today, the children did Row, Row, Row your boat with a peer partner during circle time. Wesley initiated this game with the boy who was sitting next to him and the two boys played the game very well together. This is the first time I have seen Wesley initiate a social interaction with a peer and then actively engage with the peer for a period of time. "

Holy shit! He initiated! He took the opportunity to turn to the child beside him and engage in play. Again, holy shit! My one and only question about this scenario is, was the child Z? As I've said in the past, he has this awesome connection with Z and Z just seems to 'get' Wesley and accepts him for who he is. If it was Z, then that's good. If it wasn't, then that's incredible!

Yesterday, we ventured to a new park in the next town over. Casey was babbling away to this adorable little girl who looked at him like he was speaking Chinese. Wesley came over and patted her gently on the head, giggled and took off running. He again initiated social contact. It may not have been appropriate, but it happened. I was so proud of him.

I'm looking forward to the next two years of preschool and he can accomplish during this time. It's a very important time because this is where he will build most of the skills he needs to move onto Kindergarten and beyond. This is where he'll be pushed and protected all at the same time. There is nothing this child can't work through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
Why are you so suprised? I knew he had it in him all the time. His emotions are showing more and more every day. The few days I was with him, he sat on my lap and cuddled with me. That was a very special time for both of us. He wanted to be with me, and I loved it!!!!
He is going to change more and more everyday.
Love You and keep up the awesome work your doing with Wes.
Mom

Casdok said...

Brillient!!! :)

sweetpeas said...

What a wonderful update on Wes.

What a SUPER STAR!!!!

Lisa said...

This post made me smile :-)

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...