Thursday, March 6, 2008

PT Update

Tim and I had another meeting with the school about PT. The evaluation was done and we had to sit down with the PT and figure out a plan for the rest of the year. He was very nice and seemed young to me. I was reliving my own school memories I guess. Anyway, Wes does qualify for PT and it will be started next week. The paperwork for his IEP needs to be changed. He was quite impressed with Wes and his determination to succeed. The one issue that remains a problem is body awareness. Wes shows no correlation between his movements and where his body is. For example, he was on a balance beam and instead of looking at the board and his feet, he was studying something on the wall. His mind just wasn't connecting to the task and what he needed to do to accomplish it.

This carries over to home as well. The boy never watches where he's going and often trips. I can't count the times he's fallen in the snow because he wasn't looking. I've joked about getting him blinders like horses use to keep him focused. I thought that this issue was more an OT area, but apparently it's a PT thing too. I wish I had known this because I would have fought for PT when Wes was in EI or when he first started school. Another lesson learned.

He's going to see a developmental optometrist today to have his eyes rechecked by someone else. I'm not happy with his current eye doctor because she is only available in the morning. It's a problem because I've noticed his left eye turns in more at the end of the day then in the morning. He's more fatigued and less likely to control the eye. This doctor comes recommended by a friend who's son has aspergers. I hope he can see what I see and we can come up with a better plan to correct the problem if needed then the wait and see approach we got from the other office.

2 comments:

Casdok said...

We learn many lessons, and our kids teach us so well.
I also hope they come up with a positive plan for you.

michele_k said...

It's good to know Wes will be getting PT at school. And I love that he wants to succeed with it.

J had a similar problem when he was Wes's age. He didn't always pay attention to his body and his movements. He also walked on his tip-toes quite a bit. Those are gone and now he loves to stomp his feet real hard throughout the house.

I hope all goes well wiht the developmental optometrist.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...