Thursday, January 10, 2008

Let's get physical

It was mentioned in the last IEP meeting that Wes should be evaluated by the schools physical therapist. I've been concerned that he should be in PT since we started Early Intervention and had planned on mentioning it at his yearly IEP meeting. He only received OT and SLP while in early intervention. They told me that he had more of a need for OT then PT. I was new to this path so I didn't argue. Now that he is in school, I want him evaluated for everything and anything. Every extra piece helps. When we sent back the signed IEP, I made a note that I wanted him evaluated before March 2008 which will be our next review of his IEP. Today, I signed an authorization form for my permission to have him checked out. I'm glad he is. I know that he has very poor coordination, still doesn't jump, and runs with an immature gait. I assumed those were OT area's and not PT. I was wrong. I'm pretty sure he will qualify and will start that up soon.

In the meantime, I am thinking of finding extra assistance outside of school. I am checking out our area to see if there are any autism groups for children that incorporate socializing, OT, and maybe some ST. So far, no luck. I don't want to overload him. He's doing a fantastic job and all his teachers keep telling me how quickly he's picking up routines and following directions. The autism coordinator for the school district (the one that did monthly visits to our house while Wes was in EI) told me that every time he comes to check on Wes (monthly), he has to overhaul his program because he's either already gone ahead or will be mastering certain areas in the very near future.

I'm not a believer in curing my child. What I do believe in is getting him as close to a functional child/adult that he can survive in this world with minimal help. That's all I want for him. The more he gains and at the pace he's moving, I worry less and less about him. We've made some changes in our house to help Wes do more things for himself that he should be doing. Tim and I continually back off and let him take care of himself and be where he should be for his age. All those things, along with school are helping him be at his fullest potential, for the time being. There is so much more potential in that body that needs to be let out.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...