Tuesday, January 8, 2008

First time mom....again

I've heard many times in the past that no two children are alike. I never imagined how true that was and how wrong that was until recently. My boys are so different, yet so alike and I feel like I'm a first time mom all over again.

Both Wes and Casey have such a stubborn streak in them and they both have relatively short fuses. Yes, I know, they get that from me. On the other hand, they have such different personalities. Before Wes was diagnosed and we learned how to deal with his behavior issues, he had tantrums. They would be in loud, crowded places or when we went off the routine. Casey, well he's a whole new ball of wax. His tantrums are totally temper related. If he doesn't get what he wants, if he doesn't get it when he wants, or if he doesn't get it how he wants well watch out because the world has ended. The child is 16 months old going on 16 years old. He knows how to work the system to his advantage. The system being myself and Tim. He knows that if he wants to do something he's not supposed to, he needs to be sneaky and hide. Usually it's not the best hiding place, but typically it's in a corner or behind something else. As soon as he's found out, he puts on his cutest smile and gives the sweetest giggle. That is until you take away whatever he's not supposed to have. BOOM! The you know what has hit the fan. He throws himself on the floor, legs kicking, arms flailing, and voice screaming. If you need to tell him no, then he runs over with his index finger outstretched and gives it right back to you.

I'm not used to this. Yes, I've had issues similar to deal with, but not like this. I have had no previous training for a child such as himself. There are no books to help me along, no videos to watch. Only the sheer enjoyment of watching is cherub face smile at me when I can see that the devil on his shoulder has won, this time. I've been blessed to be given the opportunity to raise such wonderfully vast different children.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...