Friday, August 31, 2007

1 Year Evaluation

The time has come for Wes to be reevaluated through Early Supports and Services. It's been exactly 1 year since we started the process. What a year it has been. We've seen remarkable improvements in quite a few areas. His language skills have seemed to skyrocket. Until we see it on paper...

If you look back to the first month this blog was started, you'll see the different areas Wes is "tested" in and where developmentally he is. The age ranges are in months rather then years.

A year later, it looks like this

Social/Emotional - 18-24 months
Self Help - 18-24 months
Gross Motor - 21-26 months
Fine Motor - 24-28 months
Cognitive - 16-20 months
Communication
Receptive - 12-15 months
Expressive - 18-22 months

So there we have it. It doesn't look nearly as good as we thought. We certainly see a difference, but I guess it's not as much as suspected. I know he could be worse off, blah, blah, blah. He's not worse off, he's Wesley and it still sucks to see how far behind his peers he really is. How much more work is ahead of us just to get him close. He will be 3 in two short months. I want to end this post on a good note, but I just can't find it at the moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like he has made nice progress. Looking back at the scores from your first entry he has made a year's growth in social emotional and fine motor and 6 months growth in gross motor and cognitive. That's great progress. Remember he is only been diagnosed for 6 months. I say that's wonderful. Just wait until he gets to school! Keep up the good work Wes.

sweetpeas said...

Here I was about to cry then I read the comment made above mine. I love the positive outlook "anonymous" has!! I see a huge improvement in Wes and the entire family. EIP is not just about Wes it is also about how the family has coped and adjusted in such a short time and you my friend have done exceedingly well!!!!! Wes has made great progress and it has been so quick and you have learned so much about how he "ticks" things will only continue to improve.

Slow and Steady wins the race!!!

Love Auntie Kelli

Peggy said...

Personally I just HATE those age comparisons. I have told Claire's teachers they can write it down but I don't want to hear it. Comparing her to the "average" 3 year old is comparing apples to oranges and she will always apprear to be failing when she is far from failing at anything. Please don't let it get you down. You see Wes everyday and you continue to be happy and excited in his progress and know how well he is doing. Leave those numbers on paper only.

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...