Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Speech Therapy....again and IEP meeting

Today we had a consult with a ST that is working through Early Support Services. I'm really happy with this one because she will be working together as a team with Wes' OT and ABA therapist. She wants to come and observe the ABA to see what she is doing and then will start on her own once a week. She thinks he needs more then just a monthly consult which I agree. He's using more spontaneous words but more echoing then anything. She will start on her own in two weeks. Next week, she will come back with Wes' OT and observe more.

Yesterday we had the initial IEP meeting where we met his liaison and the coordinator for the special ed preschool. I can't believe this is happening already! He's still my baby. I'm very happy that he'll get more socialization rather then just going to the park and I think he's really going to take off there. Once he gets into a routine and becomes familiar with the teachers, things will go great. I'm very excited for him. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to put him on the bus or not. Tim thinks we should, but me being mom, wants to protect him. The school he will go to is one block from our house and I was going to walk him to school and pick him up. Now I'm thinking of letting the bus pick him up, but I will go get him after. That way I can talk to some of the other parents (get to know them) and talk to his teachers to see what he is doing and if they have any suggestion on what we can do at home to continue his learning.

So that's 4+ more months until my big baby becomes a really big boy.

2 comments:

sweetpeas said...

OH NO am I behind on getting Chase into preschool....Im feeling like a bad mommy here....Help???

Melissa said...

Jes - I am so glad that things are progressing so well for you!!!!! When we had thought that brady may had aspbergers, it broke my heart. Thankfully, that was not the diagnosis...but, every day is an uphill battle...and I can understand what it feels to be totally spent. Our children are our children...and we as mothers, will do anything to protect the, and watch them grown into great men. Every step that you are taking...is moving in the right direction. You are doing more for Wes than you can imagine by putting all of your efforts and energy into it. I miss chatting with you....email me sometime :)

Missy

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...